Hi everyone! 2012 is almost upon us & to prep, I decided to make my New Year's Resolutions...public! I thought this was a bold move and realized that - sometimes - when you share goals publicly, you are more apt to rise to the challenge. I know this is true when it comes to yours truly (0: I don't want to waste any additional time so, here they are....
1. I plan to continue participating in my small group as well as becoming more actively involved with my church. Secondly, I plan to read the 'One Year Bible' this year & memorize my favorite scripture.
2. This is a lofty goal but, it wouldn't be my style to not push myself. I plan to volunteer at either Gentle Barn or Farm Sanctuary by the end of 2012. My health condition dictates my activity level but somehow - someway - I will work with the these animals. It's been on my bucket list for years. If I am unable to travel (due to my health), I will volunteer with the animals in Chicago, IL. I feel 2011 was the year of 'Getting Vegucated' as Marisa Miller might say. So now that I have the education via what is happening to factory farm animals, it's time to 'act'.
3. I will eat a 100% plant based diet. 2011 was a year of massive transition & overhaul of my diet. I struggled with giving up dairy & sugar - both remained in my diet albeit occasionally. Hey, I'm honest. To be frank, I continue to struggle and fall off of the vegan wagon all of the time. In 2012, I vow publicly to not eat dairy again. Yes, you can hold me to it!
As for sugar...well, I'm one to actually achieve her resolutions and 'no sugar' is not going to happen. I will lean towards solely vegan treats though but there's no tellin' if a Sweet Mandy B's cupcake is placed in my palm.
Finally, I will be sharing much more about veganism (via social media - aka Facebook, Twitter, etc.) I realized that 'preachy' isn't 'peachy' but education & awareness is (0:
4. I have really struggled with maintaining friendships with friends & family alike - during the battle to regain health. In 2012, I have decided that I will focus on fewer relationships and be more assertive with sharing my capabilities. Unfortunately, I will not be working on building any new relationships at all - my energy reserve is limited.
Since 2010, I have realized that most people don't care to hear about my health condition, some don't think it could be as bad as I say it is (if only) and many friendships were about my 'lifestyle'. I understand this completely now & no longer hold a pinky's worth of resentment. I no longer feel compelled to share how bad I actually feel either - unless I am certain I am speaking w/ a trusted confidante. I have found that a true friend wants you to be 'real' and if you are struggling, they will be there to listen & lend a shoulder. So, 'more discreet' with the masses - will be my new middle name for 2012.
Finally, I vow to not care what the others think anymore. I am still a stellar person - I just have new limitations & I am honoring my healing. When I fully recover, I will expand my social circle then & work on relationships that need to be worked on (0:
5. I plan to CELEBRATE LIFE and CELEBRATE being ALIVE!! I plan to be more festive regardless if there is a holiday approaching or not (0: I plan to dance more whether that be in my living room or rooftop.
.'Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it' - Bueller had it right!
I lost a year of my life - 2010 - to hospitalizations, trauma, pain. 2011 has been a year of exhaustion, rest, endless transition, learning, growth, mistakes & picking myself up over and over again....and making sense of it all. 2012 will be about further transition, faith, bravery - add in laughter, dancing, love, friendships, JOY and healing my body.
6. I plan to handle whatever 2012 brings with more grace & to trust God that He knows what He's doing....No Matter What Happens.
7. I will try yoga.
8. I will go for a 30 minute walk - daily.
9. I will make a gratitude list every night before I go to bed.
10. I will heal. It may or may not be in 2012 but, you can be certain that I will do everything I am capable of in 2012 to regain my healthy body. I will never ever ever give up. I will put more effort 'inward' in 2012 vs. outward. I will also be more consistent in all areas pertaining to healing.
11. Finally, if I have any energy left at all - I will go on one date (0:
My final note to all of you is to "Enjoy Yourself. These are the good old days you're going to miss in the years ahead".
If you are healthy, please celebrate it!!!!!! Health is Wealth folks.
If you are not healthy, please do your best to enjoy the little things, the down time, the smiles, the hugs, the people that do support you, the small victories. Please be strong, have faith in God's promises and never give up.
Thank you to all of my readers! Cheers to 2012!!!!!!!
Girl Gone Vegan,